Muttenz owns a large number of cantonal and communal protected buildings. Many of them are rebuilt and converted farmhouses. There are also many historically interesting (farm) houses. The tour shows the most important houses. In collaboration with Kulturverein Muttenz Translation assistance: Marie-Anne Thompson
Autor: Heimatkunde Muttenz, Dr. h.c. Helen Liebendörfer und Hanspeter Meier
Hauptstrasse 9, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The exemplary way of preserving and reactivating historical buildings in Muttenz is of decisive importance for the preservation of old townscapes. It can undoubtedly be described as a compromise, not as a compromise in the conventional sense, but as a logical consequence of the structural and social development of our time. In other words, the past is not ignored, but respected and acknowledged. It is important to distinguish between the function of the house as part of a settlement by means of its structure and its external appearance, and on the other hand its inner function, its activity.
- Cantonal inventory of protected cultural monuments, canton Basel-Landschaft
- Village inventory of the municipality of Muttenz 2021
- Various documents from the Muttenz museums
Hauptstrasse 1: vicarage (protected)
Hauptstrasse 1, 4132 Muttenz, CH
According to the dates above the main entrance and a window on the south side, the house was built in 1534. In the second half of the 18th century it was extended to the west by two window axes and temporarily served as a teachers' seminary. On the first floor, a four-part Gothic window opens under a canopy. In the gable above there are two large windows from the 18th century. The other facades in the old building partly have three-part windows, in the baroque extension tall rectangular windows. Inside, the Gothic paneled dining room on the upper floor is particularly worth mentioning.
Hauptstrasse 9, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The farmhouse consisted of a residential building and an attached barn/stable. At the beginning of the 20th century, the police station was housed in the living quarters (information panel on the house). The small building on the side of the road was demolished at the beginning of the 20th century. The farmhouse belonged to municipal president J. Eglin-Pfirter, who ceded the barn/stable to the dairy cooperative in 1910. The latter built the Milchhüsli* and, instead of the farm building, a milk reception with a ramp. In 1922, Pfirter's heirs also sold the residential building to the dairy cooperative. The Milchhüsli shop was then redesigned there. In 1965 a conversion took place and the Milchhüsli shop was moved to the new building, while the old shop was used as a hairdressing salon. In 1991 the central building was replaced by a residential building with a shop and a pet shop.
Hauptstrasse 16 and 18
Hauptstrasse 16, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The farmhouse No. 16 dates from the 17th century and has Gothic windows on the ground floor and a lancet stable door. In 1975 the building was rebuilt. At the same time the farmhouse No. 18 included in the construction. House 18 was a small farmer's house with an untypically rectangular barn door.
Here, only the economic parts were used differently due to the conversion. The residential parts remained as such.
Hauptstrasse 17, 4132 Muttenz, CH
Evidence of our past way of life can be found not only in pompous mansions, but also in small ones. A very inconspicuous and somewhat forgotten finding is the pigsty attached to the gable wall of Hauptstrasse 19 on the forecourt of the house. The pigsty is already shown on Meyer's village plan from 1678, unlike the farmhouses on the outskirts of the settlement, which he apparently considered unimportant for his village map.
The last farmer on the main road ran his farm here until the 1960s. Atypical for Muttenz is the entrance on the gable end.
Hauptstrasse 19 (protected)
Hauptstrasse 19, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The late Gothic farmhouse can be found on the plans drawn by geometer Georg Friedrich Meyer around 1678 for the community of Muttenz. It was built in 1651 (date on the barn archway) with a three-part, late Gothic window on the ground floor. The living area and utilitarian part are under a gable roof with the well-known stranglehold. The protruding part of the roof shows the typical character of the small farmhouse in Muttenz. Underneath one could work in the dry. Also typical is the residential part, where the entrance is missing, which is why it is located in the threshing floor. The entrance to the threshing floor, a feature of the small farmhouse common in Muttenz, probably goes back to the original form of the farmhouse and was probably due to the cramped conditions within the village.
Hauptstrasse 20 (protected)
Hauptstrasse 20, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The former farmhouse, which is relatively large by Muttenz standards, probably dates from the 17th century, but later underwent a number of changes and additions. For example, the living area was fitted with larger windows in the course of the 19th century. The original gable arbor with its board cladding also dates from this time. In addition, it received an arbor on the back, which was later plastered again. The beautiful farmhouse, which has been preserved in good condition and has survived undamaged, now houses a gallery in addition to apartments. In this way, the building could be preserved without major changes to the exterior and thus contribute to the townscape.
Hauptstrasse 22: Wirtschaft zur Waage (pub)
Hauptstrasse 22, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The property is first mentioned in the 16th century. The owners of the following centuries were mostly merchants from Basel. The present farmhouse was built in 1754. In 1883 the operator of the Sulzchopf quarry bought the property. He built a 20-ton weighbridge in front of the house and also opened an inn. The wagons were weighed here on their way from the Sulzchopf quarry to Basel.
In 1944 the residential part and the inn burned down. The cause was a short circuit. During the reconstruction, another floor was added. Also, the weighbridge was expanded to 30 tons in order to accommodate the heavier trucks that were appearing. In 1978, the weighbridge was abandoned. In 1982/83 the house was remodeled as it presents itself today.
Hauptstrasse 23 (protected) and 25: oldest standing farmhouse in Baselland
Hauptstrasse 25, 4132 Muttenz, CH
House No. 23 is the oldest documented part of the building, a medieval stone building dating from before 1471. Its original use is unknown.
Property No. 25 was built on after two fires. The oak wood required for this building was felled around 1471. The construction parts were integrated in 2018 and will remain so. Around 1515 clay walls were first replaced by stone walls on the ground floor, followed in 1577 by the ‹petrification› of the upper floor. Around 1700 the building was divided into two properties: the house at Hauptstrasse No. 23, which dates back to the medieval stone building, and house No. 25. From then on, the former was used purely as a residential building, the latter as a farmhouse until recently.
Hauptstrasse 24 / 24a (protected)
Hauptstrasse 24, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The year 1849 and the initials D W can be found on the crest of the barn door at the former farmhouse at Hauptstrasse No. 24. At that time the house was newly built, but it seems that older components were used.
Significantly older than the former farmhouse is the Stöckli, which is attached to the living area at the back and is connected to an arbor. It has two floors, is also covered by a steep gable roof and has two-part Gothic windows on the east facade. Seen from behind, the house at Hauptstrasse Nos. 24 and 24a forms a small building group that looks really picturesque and has come into its own again thanks to the restoration.
Hauptstrasse 27 und 29: former «Taunerhäuser» (day laborer houses)
Hauptstrasse 29, 4132 Muttenz, CH
House No. 27:
The building was constructed as a simple «Taunerhaus» (day laborer house) at the same time as the similar house No. 29 (to the right) around 1830.
The house could only be extended at the back. There was an extension that served as a coach house, pigsty and extension of the dwelling. A narrow alleyway leads to the rear area on the south-west side.
The two-story residential part has a gable roof. The half-timbered construction, the windows and doors are original.
House No. 29:
The narrow, two-storey house is typical of the village center of Muttenz. Since the construction perimeter has not been changed for centuries, the builders could only extend the house at the back. Nothing is known about the building history of the house. It is likely to have been built as a simple «Taunerhaus» (day labourer's house) at the same time as the similar house No. 27 around 1830. The house is very narrow and deep. A storeroom with stairs and arbor followed later on the back. The windows and doors are original. The house is important as part of the ensemble of two Tauner houses Nos. 27 and 29 that were built together at the same time.
Hauptstrasse 32 - 40
Hauptstrasse 36, 4132 Muttenz, CH
Four former properties are united in the building. In the middle of the 19th century they were replaced by a new building, which was given the numbers 32 and 34. The first shop of the newly founded Muttenz consumer association was set up in the old building in 1894.
The neighboring property No. 36 is described in the fire log in 1807 as a "little house with barn and stables". In 1854 the building was rebuilt and sold to the ACV in 1952.
The smallest plot No. 38 and 38a was sold in 1936 to the municipality of Muttenz. In 1950 it was demolished. Through an exchange agreement, the part on the main street came into the possession of the ACV, the rear part on the Schulstrasse to the municipality of Muttenz, which made it possible to build a new fire department storage facility.
Hauptstrasse 45 (Protected)
Hauptstrasse 45, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The former farmhouse at Hauptstrasse No. 45 is on the corner of Hauptstrasse and Hinterzweienweg. This farmhouse is also on Meyer's plan from 1678. It was rebuilt around 1850 in the style of late classicism with an ox-eye over the barn door and double ventilation slits over the stable part. During the renewed conversion in 1976 and the simultaneous widening of Hinterzweienstrasse, a breakthrough (tunnel) was made to create a continuous pavement, i.e. the public path practically leads through the house. Murals by the Muttenz artist Karl Jauslin have been preserved in the living room on the first floor.
Hauptstrasse 53: Former wash house (ISOS)
Hauptstrasse 53, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The former wash house, a small two-storey building from the 18th century with a gable roof, forms an attractive break in the forecourts.
Hauptstrasse 54/56: Rössli - oldest inn in Muttenz
Hauptstrasse 54, 4132 Muttenz, CH
At the beginning of the 17th century, the church book gives us information about an innkeeper named Niklaus Brüderlin for the first time, because in 1601 court was held by the village court in his inn dwelling. The inn in question concerns today's Gasthaus zum Rössli, which can therefore be described as the oldest tavern in Muttenz.
In 1909 the property was extended, an extension with a deep gable. In addition to the Wirtschaft zum Rössli, Kaiser's coffee shop and the Rahm butcher's shop were now also located there.
In 1986 the demolition of the Hotel «Rössli» began and a new residential and commercial building was erected.
Hauptstrasse 59 (protected) und 61
Hauptstrasse 59, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The house at Hauptstrasse No. 59, together with No. 61, stands at a slight angle to the street behind the protruding No. 57. The longitudinal building was built in 1631, the year can be found on the cellar window. The open basement exit in front of the house leads to a vaulted basement.
On the ground floor, during renovation work, a pointed arched door to the neighboring house made of sandstone was found. It is probably a spolie, i.e. reuse. A tiled stove with the year 1846 has been preserved from the old furnishings on the upper floor. On the upper floor, the storey height is very high, so that a small hall is presumed here. However, the history of the interesting house has not yet been explored.
Hauptstrasse 63, 4132 Muttenz, CH
According to the village inventory of 2021, the original farmhouse dates from before 1678.
The year 1750 is noted above the lintel.
The farm building was demolished in 1909 and replaced by a house with trade (Schmiede Haslebacher) and apartments.
Hauptstrasse 77: grange «Im Hof» (protected)
Hauptstrasse 77, 4132 Muttenz, CH
For centuries, the "Im Hof" property formed the end of the village, which is now marked by the tram line. The estate consisted of two buildings enclosing a courtyard with an octagonal well. The "Hof" or also called "Huberisches Gut" was built in 1668 by Basel captain Johann Wernhard Huber. The year 1668 can be found above the former stair tower. The farm later went to the Jourdan family. The walled property also includes a farm building converted several times. The "Hof" also includes a garden with a lattice gate and a garden pavilion from the 18th century, both of which were listed as historical monuments in 1976.
The main building is still used for residential purposes today.
Kirchplatz 7: Inn «Rebstock»
Kirchplatz 7, 4132 Muttenz, CH
Kirchplatz No. 7 (Rebstock) and Kirchplatz No. 8 originally belonged together.
The core building must have been erected before 1678 because it is to be found on the plan of G.F. Meyer from 1678. The roof space with post construction dates from before 1570 (village inventory 2021). First there was the butcher's shop on the left.
In 1840 Niklaus Ramstein bought the school (slaughterhouse), which was located next to the church above the village stream.
During the renovation of 1912, the door on the far right disappeared.
Kirchplatz 8 (BIB)
Kirchplatz 8a, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The position and size of this Gothic-Baroque farmhouse are significant. Residential and commercial buildings are located under a continuous ridge of the high gable roof. The preserved Gothic windows and the date in the window lintel (upper floor west) refer to the year of construction 1695.
In the 19th century, the farmhouse was extended by two axes on the south side and rectangular windows were added. The two parts of the house can still be noticed because of the different heights of the roof ridges. In 1969 three apartments were built.
Kirchplatz 17, 4132 Muttenz, CH
According to the investigations into the village inventory in 2021, core parts of the house date from the 15th/16th century. The farmhouse can also be found on the plan by G.F.Meyer from 1678.
During renovation work in 1926, a statuette of the Virgin Mary, about 10 cm in size, was found in a beam pocket in a small room on the first floor. The badly damaged figure was dated to the beginning of the 16th century. It is now in the Catholic Church in Muttenz. A little later, a rosary from the period 1650-1680 was found in the basement, which was on the ground floor next to the kitchen. It was hanging between a wall beam and the wall. At the moment the whereabouts of the rosary are unknown.
Kirchplatz 18: Dietlerhaus
Kirchplatz 18, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The so-called Dietlerhaus (built in 1743) is the birthplace of Johannes Dietler (1746 -1814), banker, administrator of the church property and councillor.
Core parts of the house, however, date from the 15th/16th century
In 1915 the appearance was changed by installing a cross gable and a bay window.
In 2009 there was a conversion with an extension to the courtyard garden. During this conversion, a pit house from the Carolingian period was discovered. Pit houses were a common form of building in the early Middle Ages, and thanks to the fact that they were partly buried in the ground, they are often archaeologically detectable. Pit houses were independent small wooden buildings, actual semi-cellars, in which supplies were possibly stored, but which were provenly used primarily as weaving cellars.
Kirchplatz 19 (protected)
Kirchplatz 19, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The former farmhouse at Kirchplatz No. 19 is set back and therefore has a large forecourt. The house was rebuilt in 1649 (at the top of the barn door). It belongs to the type of the Muttenz smallholder house.
The house was handed over to an architect with building rights by the municipality of Muttenz under the condition that it be preserved and expanded. The expansion of the former farmhouse into two apartments and an architect's studio clearly shows that the old farmhouses can be given new functions without losing their historical building structure.
Schulstrasse 16 (protected)
Schulstrasse 16, 4132 Muttenz, CH
The former farmhouse is on the corner of Rössligasse and Schulstrasse, directly behind the main road. It is thus one of the few farmhouses in Muttenz that have not been included in the street rows. Probably built in 1669 (date on the barn door), it has residential and commercial buildings, combined under a roof ridge. The commercial part and the residential part were rebuilt several times. The residential building itself is of recent date and extends beyond the commercial part on the street side.
This farmhouse was placed under protection in connection with the municipality's efforts to preserve as many farmhouses as possible, provided that they can be considered part of the town centre.